Redesign of dlang.org

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 22 13:39:14 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 22 April 2014 at 20:01:27 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 4/22/14, 3:32 AM, Kagamin wrote:
>>
>> What's problem with entire page width? I don't remember
>> difficulty
>> reading w3c docs or gcc docs or linux man pages even when they
>> occupy
>> the entire page width.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=page%20width%20study#q=optimal+page+width+for+reading&safe=off

As I have already pointed out, there is no optimal width. E.g. if
you have 3 lines per paragraph you can have longer lines. If you
have 20 lines per paragrap you need shorter ones. So why are you
doing this? Trying to be clever? Obviously not.

Kagamin meant "window width". Clearly if the user can adjust his
window he can get the desired text width. Only after two decades
of academics pointing out a need for flexible width do web
designers get it and start chanting for "responsive design". Not
because they actually understand what they are doing, but because
they were FORCED to leave their ugly fixed width obsession by the
introduction of mobile devices.

Too many documentation sites still get this wrong, meaning: they
don't work properly if the user sets a larger font or uses his
own stylesheets.

This is the proper link:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/

(You ARE flame baiting, right? I think you owe Kagamin an
apology.)