Redesign of dlang.org

Aleksandar Ruzicic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 22 15:05:05 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 22 April 2014 at 19:34:08 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2014-04-22 18:38, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>
>> I'm clearly outta my depth here, basing myself off of giving
>> http://sass-lang.com/guide a couple minutes. From what I can
>> tell here's
>> how ddoc matches up sass features:
>>
>> Pre-processing: yes
>> Variables: yes
>> Nesting: no
>> Partials, Import: somewhat (by passing several ddoc files to
>> dmd)
>> Mixins: yes
>> Extend/Inheritance: no
>> Operators: no
>>
>> I'm glad to see a revamp of dlang.org happening. Again if the
>> added
>> tools bring great advantages with them, fine. But we can't add
>> dependencies carelessly and only for minor convenience.
>
> I'm not going to argue which is best. But since I started to
> use Sass, I see no reason to use plain CSS. Even just for
> nesting, which is the most used feature I've seen people use, I
> think it's worth it. Although, I'm using Ruby on Rails which
> comes bundled with Sass.

I'm no Rails (or Ruby) developer but I use Sass for all my
styling needs for a long time now. It was the only reason I had
ruby installation on my computer (nowdays I use libsass, so no
ruby.. yey).

I find it really easy to setup and use thanks to npm and
node-sass package (I prefer not to manually compile my tools),
and build tools like grunt and (now more popular) gulp really
make the life easier for front-end projects (which I still have
to do every once in a while). I just hope we will have such
ecosystem one day in D (with help of gulp).