Redesign of dlang.org

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 23 03:13:10 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 at 03:20:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
>> Trying to be clever? Obviously not.
>
> I don't understand the motivation of this quip.

You don't understand that it is offensive to respond to an
intelligent question by posting a Google query? As a project
maintainer you should know better.

If dlang.org is being used by a programmer for 2-3 hours daily,
then it is his use scenario that matters. The ability to adapt is
more important for a documentation site than for a news site.

There are many good reasons to scale up to insane widths,
basically to cut down the length of the rendered page to get an
overview. To get less prose and more code on the page. Many of
the dlang pages suffers from being too long, information sought
is "hidden".

The user is always right… as the a designer you cannot tell the
user he is wrong (well, you can, but that will only piss him
off). So if Kagamin is comfortable with wide windows then that
most certainly is the right thing for him.

Anyway, you guys are taking this process in reverse. You should
start with use cases, then the requirements, then content, then
functionality, then marginal design, then figure out what you
need in addition in terms of styling.

The current documentation is not very user friendly, no amount of
styling will fix that. Styling will only make it look like you
have your priorities wrong. Put a dress on a pig and it will
still be a pig, an odd one. (In the commercial sector you start
with stylish mockups, but that is only a political move to get
thumbs up, it is not a good idea since it can lock down
expectations too early.)

A redesign ought to:

1. cut down on the number of operations to find the information
sought.

2. maximize vertical information flow to avoid exessive scrolling
(that means get rid of the top bar on doc pages)

I think you need to improve ddoc and get more semantics into the
markup.

> Today's crop of browsers are tabbed, and for many users the
> position of the browser window is dictated by external
> constraints (relation to other windows, external monitor or not
> etc) and it's unreasonable to demand resizing the window
> whenever they swap tabs.

I would image the primary usage scenario is to have dlang
alongside your editor. (Doing a mobile-first design for dlang is
something I don't get the point of.)

Ola.