DIP60: @nogc attribute

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 23 08:57:24 PDT 2014

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 02:11:38 -0400, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 22/04/14 20:48, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>
>> I mean not like I can't because I don't want to or don't have time, but
>> can't as in I lack the skill set :) It's interesting to debate, and I
>> get the concepts, but I am not a CPU/cache guy, and these things are
>> really important to get right for performance, since ref counting would
>> be used frequently.
>
> That's the worst kind of excuses :) I don't remember the last time I
> started working on a project and know what I was doing/had the right
> skill set. I mean, that's how you learn.

Sure, but there are things I CAN do with my limited time, that I do have
the expertise for. I've already been schooled by the likes of you and
Michel Fortin on my knowledge of ref counting implementation.

BTW, this is how RedBlackTree (dcollections) came into existence, I had no
idea what I was doing, just the API that I wanted (and back then, I had
more time). The code is actually a slightly-hand-optimized copy of my CLR
book's red-black algorithm.

-Steve