Redesign of dlang.org

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 23 09:28:30 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 at 16:13:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> ... first hit is
> http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/13724/recommended-column-width-for-text-reading-digital-vs-printed
> pointing to a study indicating 95 characters per line as
> optimal for on-screen reading comprehension. The subjective
> preferences, however, was biased toward smaller numbers.
>
> The second link is
> http://baymard.com/blog/line-length-readability which points to
> a few studies concluding that 50-75 cpl (characters per line)
> would be indicated for web design.
>
> Third is
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7460041/whats-a-good-maximum-width-of-text-on-a-webpage
> which quotes a really nice collection of numbers from Smashing
> Magazine from popular websites, showing that 84% of the sites
> they looked at use 65-104 cpl.
>
> It just struck me that Google's own search page that I'm
> looking at right now, which I vaguely recall did not limit line
> lengths a few years ago, is now using a 90 cpl limit. The
> page's right-hand side is a white area.
>
> Next is
> http://webstyleguide.com/wsg3/7-page-design/6-page-width-line-length.html,
> which mentions 66 cpl as optimal from a physiological
> standpoint.
>
> Next is http://socialtriggers.com/perfect-content-width/ which
> nicely advocates smaller cpl at the top of the content (so
> people read the essential message quickly) followed by 100 cpl.

Gosh now I finally know what researches to blame for my eyes
bleeding upon most web site restylings (Facebook *caugh-caugh*).
If anything it just shows that overall reading skills are
decreasing and no one care about visitors with small fonts (me).
But current HTML/CSS standards don't provide way to express sizes
as percentage of screen width (as opposed to page window width),
do they?