python vs d

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 24 01:41:51 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 08:05:53 UTC, Suliman wrote:
>> Most of my D code looks nothing like what you see posted on
>> these lists. I likely don't write code in the idiomatic D way,
>> but it still works and is a lot easier on the eyes than my C++
>> code.
>>
>> I think improving the library documentation and some parts of
>> the library (ie. XML, JSON a few others) would likely help
>> close the gap with Python in terms of 'ease of use'.  Of
>> course it will likely never be as easy as Python for quick and
>> dirty apps. However, just because you can do crazy complex
>> stuff in D doesn't mean you have to.
>
> It would be very nice to add to dlang wiki comparison woth
> Python, to show that D code can be easy as Python. Because some
> of solution here are very hard for understanding. For example
> topic that was few days ago about филге checking element in an
> array
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/lbhtghccdtoojwpfyapw@forum.dlang.org
>
> Also what about web. Is I understand there is another
> situation, and 90% of task in middle site is SELECT operation.
> So where is speed of D can be used? What benefits I will get in
> speed and writing code instead of Python or even PHP. Both of
> them have good optimization for such operations...

Based upon what I've tested on my machine which I might add has a
problem with hard drive speed (bottleneck) Cmsed/Vibe is capable
of a very large number of connections per second with quite a low
memory footprint. Which does exceed any PHP web service framework
currently available.
I've seen around 16k possible locally with logging off, release
build and keep alive. Still thats a far cry from 2.5k which is
around PHP frameworks usual max.
Perhaps with some form of caching for complex pages it'll stay
quite high, although I haven't really looked into this.

Speed isn't the only consideration with building web services
however. How well does it scale? Productivity to write?

Either way at this stage the bottleneck isn't the runtime
performance its actually compilation. Right now with Vibe/Cmsed
you cannot do reloading of templates/routes/models at runtime.
This is the next step to getting D as a real substitute for e.g.
Java for web development.
I've been waiting up to this point for shared library support on
all platforms but.. in the end I want this kinda now. Here is
what I'm doing [0].

[0]
http://forum.rejectedsoftware.com/groups/rejectedsoftware.dub/thread/1404/