Redesign of dlang.org

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 24 06:59:54 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 08:17:15 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> As if <b> hasn't always implied the semantics of "emphasis"
> anyway...not that anyone's ever had any real use for semantic
> "which text is emphasized?" for any purpose besides "Should
> this text be rendered in bold/italic or not?"
>
> Funny though...I've never heard any of the semantic-web-loving,
> <b>/etc haters complain about things like Markdown ;)

I use semantic markup for emphasis where it's supported. Can't
say I used markdown a lot, though I guess its semantics is more
similar to that of semantic markup than visual markup, I can say
wiki markup is.

On Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 08:58:13 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I agree. Unfortunately though, browsers haven't always has
> reasonable defaults, so people had to work around, so now it's
> all pretty much screwed.
>
> Maybe what we need is a CSS for "sane-size-defaults: on;" which
> would provide a "reboot" of the whole default font sizes. That
> way, any pages that still assume the old broken defaults system
> and actively work around it won't break, but newer sites could
> finally start relying on sane user/browser/device-specific
> defaults.

I'm thinking more about some standardization of web skins, then
people will choose their web skin of choice just like on desktop
system, and sites will use that chosen skin to present content
and layout.