Discusssion on the Discussion of the Design for a new GC

Orvid King via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 24 08:51:25 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 07:09:27 UTC, Mike wrote:
> On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 at 15:33:36 UTC, Orvid King wrote:
>> After all of that, I intend to include a base draft of the
>> design of the GC, along with opening the PRs and committing
>> the starting API. So, is there something I’m missing? Am I
>> overlooking the obvious? Is there a more practical way to
>> produce the same results?
>
> What specific problems do you hope to solve with the new
> design?  Is it only to improve the speed at which the GC runs
> to completion on a single pass?  What about premptability so
> the GC could run as a low priority task, and be interrupted at
> any time to run something at a higher priority?  Is that out of
> scope?
>
> Mike

The goals of my design are to first off reduce the impact of the
GC on D as a whole, I would love it if I could get it down to the
same, or less impact as the MS.net GC. Secondly I want to make
extending, or customizing the GC for each particular use-case
significantly easier. Reducing the number of false positives
would also be a good outcome. Overall I intend to significantly
improve on D's current GC.