Discusssion on the Discussion of the Design for a new GC

safety0ff via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 24 11:35:36 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 17:33:08 UTC, Kagamin wrote:

> Another issue is that in 64-bit address space precise GC gives
> no advantage as false pointers have low probability, so precise
> GC seems to be not worth the effort.

I disagree, in the current state of things there is benefit for
64 bit systems:
Currently there are many ways to accidentally allocate without
the NO_SCAN flag for data without pointers.

The overhead of scanning this non-pointer data can often be
significant enough to warrant hunting for mis-flagged allocations.