Redesign of dlang.org

Alix Pexton via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 24 12:40:07 PDT 2014

On 24/04/2014 9:44 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> Considering the very same size 9 fonts are used as default everywhere
> else in my desktop system and it feels just fine.. yeah, you must be
> right. It must be small font and not weirdly scaled UI with 2/3 of
> screen space blank. Sure.

We must just be opposites.

I tested. At the distance I sit from my monitor 9pt type is vanishingly
small, I can read it as I type it, but not once I've forgotten what it
says. I couldn't work like that, I certainly could not bare to browse
the web like that.

I often zoom in on websites until what I want to read fills the screen
at a reasonable line length. I don't know for sure how big that makes it
but its probably between 24pt and 32pt. (When I'm coding I have my IDE
set to 20pt.)

Sites that have too much empty space around the text are often the ones
that are kindest to zooming. others that try to fill the void tend to
reflow at every step of zoom and line lengths get ridiculously short as
the filler expands.

I dislike empty space, but I'd rather a page were designed with a fixed
maximum line length for readability and allow the reader to zoom, than
with the objective of filling every pixel of screen with text.

For the record, I am quite severely dyslexic, and mildly myopic, but I
don't believe my preference for large type is related to either.

A...