Redesign of dlang.org

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 24 12:40:20 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 08:21:04PM +0100, Alix Pexton via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 24/04/2014 9:44 AM, Dicebot wrote:
> >Considering the very same size 9 fonts are used as default everywhere
> >else in my desktop system and it feels just fine.. yeah, you must be
> >right. It must be small font and not weirdly scaled UI with 2/3 of
> >screen space blank. Sure.
>
> We must just be oppositesAt the distance I sit from my monitor 9pt
> type is vanishingly small, I can read it as I type it, but not once
> I've forgotten what it says. I couldn't work like that.
>
> I find that most sites use fonts that are too small, I often zoom
> until what I want to read fills the screen at a reasonable line
> length. don't know for sure how big that makes it but its probably
> around 32pt.

Glad to know I'm not the only one! :)

> Sites that have too much empty space around the text are often the
> ones that are kindest to zooming. others that try to fill the void
> tend to reflow at every step of zoom and get to very short lines very
> quickly.

I find it disappointing that after so many decades, we still haven't
solved the problem of fluid layout. I mean, it's not as though it's an
NP complete problem or something like that; in theory we *should*
already have algorithms for this sort of thing. Yet people still
continue clinging to outdated concepts about page layout.

In an ideal world, the webserver simply serves the content, and the
browser is the one that decides how to present it -- and the user
decides how the browser should present it. Ultimately, the user should
be in charge.

Verbing weirds language. -- Calvin (& Hobbes)