Redesign of dlang.org

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 24 19:07:06 PDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 01:54:29AM +0000, bearophile via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Walter Bright:
>
> >I've recently seen some academic research PDF's where the font is so
> >small that even if I go full screen on them they are very hard to
> >read.
>
> Some combinations of PDF readers and PDF files support reflow, so
> later you can also increase the zoom. Another solution is to buy a
> wider screen, now even wide ones are kind of cheap.

I don't like wide screens that much, actually. I still prefer 4x3 aspect
ratio. I kinda agree with Nick that wide screens are more like
half-height screens. :-P

> >I don't get the reason for doing this. Are they trying to save paper
> >or something?
>
> They are often trying to save paper. Some conferences (and sometimes
> even some journals) set a maximum limit of pages for submitted papers.
[...]

You mean, they're trying to save on pages? I don't think the journal
publisher necessarily cares about *paper* per se, but more about the
cost of printing too many pages.

It is not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It is the customer who pays the wages. -- Henry Ford