Redesign of dlang.org

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 25 01:37:48 PDT 2014

On 4/25/2014 1:06 AM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:24:47AM -0400, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> I would think basic computing features like text editing, copy/paste,
>> and filenames would make trivially short work of conforming to various
>> templates upon submission, even for the less technically-inclined.
>
> True, it's quite easy in LaTeX to split your document into multiple
> files. One easy way to conform to different templates would be something
> like:

[...]
> I'm not sure if your average journal author is savvy enough to set this
> up, though. I have the sinking suspicion that probably most of them know
> just the bare minimum to make LaTeX produce some output, and don't
> really care about doing things in a more sophisticated way.

Actually, I just meant:

- Edit "my_document.tex"
- Publisher requests special version
- Make needed changes, save as "my_document_publisherX.tex"

- Maybe update "my_document.tex" later on
- Same publisher requests the update
- Either copy/paste all non-template content into
"my_document_publisherX.tex" or just make the same publisher-specific
changes again.
- Or make the changes to "my_document_publisherX.tex" first and then
update "my_document.tex".

Obviously not quite as quick and reliable as what a programmer might do,
but still pretty damn trivial, and well within the abilities of any
author. In fact, it's pretty much what nearly any "average Joe with MS
Word" would do without even being told. And they manage to get by fine
(much to my puzzlement, sometimes ;) ).