DIP61: Add namespaces to D

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 26 11:26:25 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 26 April 2014 at 15:19:55 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 04/26/2014 01:57 PM, Dicebot wrote:
>>>

>> I think this is a very bad proposal. Necessity to define
>> namespaces for
>> interfacing with C++ must not result in usage of namespaces of
>> pure D code.
>
> Well, the proposed feature does not add any new capabilities
> except proper mangling. In pure D code
>
> namespace foo{
>     // declarations
> }
>
> would be basically the same as
>
> private mixin template Foo(){
>     // declarations
> }
> mixin Foo foo;
>
> which is available today. I guess namespaces will occur in pure
> D code as sparsely as the above construction, because they are
> not particularly useful.

This is side effect of an advanced D feature that is unlikely to
be used by newbies and is less tempting to use in practice
because it involves some boilerplate. Providing it as simple
stand-alone feature is akin to saying "hey, use me!".

I don't want that in D.

I would have also strongly objected to usage of template mixins
for namespace during any code review.