DIP61: Add namespaces to D

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 26 12:13:52 PDT 2014

On 4/26/2014 11:57 AM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> Can I make a note about something? The C++ committee keeps adding new features
> to C++, libraries are probably going to start using those features. So when C++
> gets feature X and D has to have link compatibility with C++, will we be forced
> to invent even more syntax just to be able to link with the latest C++1x**?

All I can say is we have to use our best judgement on a case by case basis.

> I just really doubt C++ and D will be able to seamlessly interoperate because
> you can now match namespaces.

Of course that's correct. But it turns out there's a lot of low-hanging fruit
this will enable us to be compatible with.

> I fear like we're trying to accomplish with C++ what C++ has tried to accomplish
> with C, meaning it wants to become a superset and wrap another language.
> Shoehorning stuff into D just to make linking with C++ easier looks like the
> wrong approach to me.

I think that trying to be compatible with C++ templates is utter madness. But we
can handle namespaces.