Compile-time memory footprint of std.algorithm

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 26 13:22:20 PDT 2014

24-Apr-2014 05:12, Marco Leise пишет:
> Am Wed, 23 Apr 2014 21:23:17 +0400
> schrieb Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.olsh at gmail.com>:
>
>> 23-Apr-2014 20:56, Daniel Murphy пишет:
>>>
>>> Or you know, switch to D and use druntime's GC.
>>
>> Good point. Can't wait to see D-only codebase.
>
> Hmm. DMD doesn't use a known and tried, imprecise GC because
> it is a lot slower.

No it doesn't. It used a precursor of D's GC and that turned out to be
slow. See Walter's post.

> How is DMD written in D using the druntime
> GC going to help that ?

GC is that easier to reach, every enhancement to D's GC becomes
instantly available. Wanna make compiler faster - make D's runtime
faster! ;)

> I wondered about this ever since there
> was talk about DDMD. I'm totally expecting compile times to
> multiply by 1.2 or so.

Since memory management is going to stay the same with disabled GC (at
least for starters), I doubt things will change radically. If they will
then it'll just highlight perf problems in D's runtime that need work.

--
Dmitry Olshansky