DIP61: Add namespaces to D

Daniel N via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 26 13:32:02 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 26 April 2014 at 20:07:25 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> Yah, that's why something along the lines of
>
> extern(C++) module facebook.folly;
>
> comes to mind. Following such a module declaration, stuff
> inside of it is considered inside C++ namespace facebook::folly.
>
> The disadvantage of this is that it forces one .di file per
> namespace, whereas in C++ people frequently use different
> namespaces within the same file.
>

> Andrei

I would argue that this restriction is a benefit not a
disadvantage, one would anyway likely use a tool such as DSTEP to
create the bindings.

I suppose the greatest benefit would be for people which doesn't
use IDE:s, but also compilation time could benefit.