DIP61: redone to do extern(C++,N) syntax

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 28 01:31:54 PDT 2014

On Monday, 28 April 2014 at 06:47:08 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I have no idea what a type being "structural for the extern"
> means.

"structural" is the wrong word. I meant that if two D frameworks
bind the same c++ library you want the two externs to be
interchangable in user code. However if D libraries overlaps the
identifier path then you run into namespace issues. So the
probability of expanding libraries causing issues increase by
conflating D and C++ identifier paths.

> 1. in D you will never write std::something

Which will cause unecessary naming conflicts.

> 2. D can access a function foo without qualification in
> multiple imports, as long as the overloads do not intersect
>
> 3. Otherwise, you'll need to qualify to say which one you meant

So recompiling with updated libraries may cause failure?