python vs d

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 28 02:10:52 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 06:38:42 UTC, Suliman wrote:
> I am following discussions about GC and some other 'critical'
> improves in D language for a long time. I see a lot of
> arguments and heaps of code, that often hard to understand (for
> example Templates) even more complicated to use it.
>
> I like D, but more and more I am playing with Python, and
> understanding it's philosophy. And I like it because it's do
> not have any overhead like C++. It's clean any easy to
> understanding. As result it's harder to write bad code in it.
>
> Does anybody make tests of speed most common algorithm in D and
> Python. I am trying to understand which project better to start
> in Python and which in D.

In my experience, it is better to start a new project with D, not
only because of speed. As a project grows, the restrictions of
Python become more apparent (and annoying). If copyright is an
issue, D is the better option, too. Python can be decompiled
easily. I don't know what kind of projects you have in mind, but
in our projects Python is always the bottleneck and has to be
rewritten in a different language anyway, sooner or later.