DIP61: Add namespaces to D

justme via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 28 08:43:48 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 26 April 2014 at 18:11:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/26/2014 4:57 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> Necessity to define namespaces for
>> interfacing with C++ must not result in usage of namespaces of
>> pure D code.
>
> Why?
>
> I don't see much of any use for namespaces in pure D code,
> though I could be surprised.

If namespaces would give some astounding advantage, we would have
already seen it in C++. We don't want D to become another C++
with millions of ways of doing the same thing, do we? Modules
have served us well enough.

Put another way, we don't need namespaces "in the D language",
but we do need the ability to call C++ as easily as if they were
"in the D language". From the above comments, it looks like it
would be trivial.