python vs d

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 28 11:07:44 PDT 2014

On Monday, 28 April 2014 at 09:41:43 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-04-28 at 09:27 +0000, John Colvin via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>> As with all these things, YMMV; there are many large,
>> successful Python projects.
>
> I think this is a crucially important thing to remember: YMMV.
>
> This is not a black and white, D or Python. Different
> organization and
> projects will have different metrics for choice, meaning that
> Python, D,
> Go, C++, Java, Groovy, etc. all have valuable roles in the
> world. Choice
> of programming language is about making the least worst choice
> in a
> given context.
>
> The fact that I am rewriting a Python + GTK project in D + GtkD
> does not
> mean I now no longer use Python, it is that the context has
> changed,
> making a change of language appropriate.

Although I stick by the YMMV, I use python 3 several hours a day
and it's caused me no end of pain with very little gain. If it
wasn't for pandas and (I shudder to say it) matplotlib, I really
wouldn't have any reason to stay.

What features does python, as a language (syntactical preferences
aside), actually have to recommend it over D (assuming drepl* or
similar became full-featured)? This is definitely not a
rhetorical question, it could be useful to D development.

* http://drepl.dawg.eu/ and https://github.com/MartinNowak/drepl