python vs d

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 28 12:46:47 PDT 2014

On Monday, 28 April 2014 at 17:28:16 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Monday, 28 April 2014 at 16:22:47 UTC, Russel Winder via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>Their environment is one in which Python is the only
>> option (long
>> story), so they write in Python and then optimize by using
>> Cython on the
>> CPU intensive codes. This actually works very well for them.
>
> Don't forget that pypy compiles rpython to C or llvm.

But all of the above are extra steps you have to take and are not
really Python anymore. You depend on 3rd party software to tune
your code. With D I have full control over my code from the
start. Cython and the like can introduce their own little
problems. Another layer of complexity. Another black box.

If you have a nice algorithm that really improves the program and
then you hear "Well, it takes about 4-10 seconds, it's written in
Python", then you go "Arrgghhh!" Cython can help to speed things
up, but you have little control over what is going on. So why not
craft your own custom code in C or D whenever possible?