D For A Web Developer

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 29 15:09:57 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 29 April 2014 at 19:06:59 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> I'm curious to why you think D is more productive and easier to
> use.

A lot of things, mostly focusing around having the compiler to
help refactor with confidence (the importance of this really
can't be understated) and having libraries that fit better. The
speed is a nice bonus too, having to spend half a minute just
waiting for the tests to run really grates me.

But wrt libraries, ActiveRecord is unbelievably awful, for
example. It is a bad idea from the ground up: why, oh why are we
reinventing the database? erb templates are painful to use too,
and so is the routing. I don't understand why routing isn't done
automatically for the common case.

The scaffolding is a pain too. Contrast to what web.d does: given
a function signature, it automatically generates a form for it
(using type information to select correct widgets) and can format
the response in several forms automatically including plain text,
html list, html table, json, xml, csv, and a custom template.

Maybe Rails can do this stuff and I'm too much of a n00b, but the
other experienced team members say the way we're doing it is
pretty standard and I'm just not impressed.

I can just get stuff done in D in a fraction of a time it takes
to do even less in RoR.