D For A Web Developer

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 29 21:52:04 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 at 04:32:37 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-04-30 at 04:12 +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via
> Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
> […]
>> Yea, I wrote my version several years ago (IIRC 2009 or early
>> 2010) and since then D has grown as has my knowledge of it. I
>> kinda want to write a web.d 2.0 that cleans everything up but
>> eh I have a lot of things I want to do and web.d 1.0 works so
>> no big rush.
>
> I disagree. The lesson from the Bottle/Flask/Tornado experience
> over the
> last few years is that it is always better to be working on the
> next
> version rather than just stick to maintaining the current
> version.
>
> Yes for using 1.0 on the current jobs, but definitely yes to
> starting on
> 2.0 now, especially if there are other to join in and help with
> the
> work.
>
> Web is not my area per se and I don't have a web-related
> project I can
> pin helping out with this effort on, but I would encourage you
> to work
> on 2.0.
>
> I will have to be looking at Python's asyncio which is Python's
> "play"
> in the arena that Twisted used to be king; more vibe.d than
> web.d.

I've been working on Cmsed/Dvorm/Dakka specifically in the mind
of a rather (major) web service. Haven't started it yet, but
possibly next semester.
I'm of the opinion that we all need to work together to get a
damn nice web service framework together.
I split up my ORM for this purpose so even if you don't want to
use Cmsed you can use it at least. Won't be very nice for normal
Vibe users though.

I really do want help, Dakka (Actor framework) needs somebody who
knows threading/networking communication. I'll eventually get it
communicating with other nodes but.. Will opensource if there is
interest.

Dvorm needs work to make it be usable with relational databases.
At worse that means I need OpenDBX dlls for 32/64bit (wasn't as
easy to compile as I thought).
The hardest part really is how to handle indexes.

Cmsed needs documentation by the bucket load. Its also blocked at
the moment on dub to make it sensible to do reloading of
templates/routes/models. Which will change the way you structure
it.

Cmsed is already at the point of comparable to other web service
frameworks in most other languages.