python vs d

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 30 03:16:11 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 at 08:52:48 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Say you have a Python file with 500 lines of code. Try to copy
> and paste something with a different indentation from somewhere
> else into an if statement.

Paste in non-formatting-mode and use the editor's ability to
block indent? Having an editor that will indent/unindent regions
when you hit tab/shift-tab helps.

> This kind of patronizing bullshit was invented for
> non-programmers who might make a mess of the code otherwise.

It is true that Python grew out of a programming language
tradition meant for teaching/prototyping.

But the Python syntax it is more useful for an interpreter prompt
(REPL) than a syntax with explicit begin/end markers. Most of the
non-trivial transformations I do start at the REPL before being
pasted into the editor.

> In D you can do this:
>
> if (mode == "TEST") {  // Second block added later
> if (x == 1) {  // First block
>  writeln("Hurray!");
> }
> }

I think Go did the right thing by not requiring the redundant
parantheses on the if statement and perhaps also by allowing the
omission of semicolons where appropriate etc. Room for improved
legibility right there.

if TEST&& x == 1:
     …

Ola.