python vs d

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 30 04:46:29 PDT 2014

On 4/30/2014 6:16 AM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 at 08:52:48 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> In D you can do this:
>>
>> if (mode == "TEST") {  // Second block added later
>> if (x == 1) {  // First block
>>  writeln("Hurray!");
>> }
>> }

Yea, I do that all the time for debugging...*deliberately* since it
makes it trivial to spot the temporary testing code. A language
shouldn't get in my way just because it made a false assumption about my
workflow.

> I think Go did the right thing by not requiring the redundant
> parantheses on the if statement and perhaps also by allowing the
> omission of semicolons where appropriate etc. Room for improved
> legibility right there.

Personally, I find Go's reduced parens and such to make it noticeably
harder to read. There's less for my eyes to lock onto when visually
parsing/scanning. YMMV of course.