D For A Web Developer

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 30 10:17:01 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 at 16:56:11 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> Sounds pretty much exactly what I'd expect from just about any
> PHP-based application. :/

Modern PHP isn't so bad. I can write acceptable code in PHP.
Though, I only do so when there is no other option, since it is
the least desirable option next to Perl. The good thing about PHP
is that default installs tend to have good C libraries. I think
it would have died without that.

So, if PHP is ok then it must be the PHP programmers that are to
blame. I shudder to think what happens with a niche community if
they pick it as the next fad… It could destroy any upcoming
programming community with spaghetti-hell. Are you sure you want
to market D as a web platform?

> familiarity with the other stuff than I do. Ugh, but SQL can be
> such a pain, especially with all the vendor differences, and
> when compared to accomplishing something in whatever language
> I'm invoking SQL from.

You can implement it in the ORB or wherever unit that provides
transactions. I was more pointing to what I find useful
conceptually in terms of layers:

1. user input on the client
2. validate on client
3. post using ajax
4. server unwraps the data and blindly inserts it into the
database
5. if transaction fails, notify client, goto 1
6. done.

Another good reason for fat clients is that the edit/run cycle is
tighter and it is easier to run a debugger on it. It makes sense
to put most of the code where you can mutate it easily.