python vs d

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 30 10:34:20 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 at 17:05:54 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I believe it is not that at all. Writing code using a dynamic
> language
> is a totally different mind set to working with a static
> language, even
> if many similar code idioms appear to be being used.

I kind of agree, but as you pointed out (with Go): no language is
  really static, but a point in a design space.

You still get runtime errors.
You still get values out of bounds.
So both Python and D are on the same scale.

And they are both less "strict" than a functional language with
heavy duty type constraints and formal proof mechanisms.

> The idioms of Go do not apply to D and C++.

I think the issues I am having with Go is that it hasn't quite
found the idioms that work best yet. So libraries are a bit
lacking in terms of usability IMO.

You can probably say the same about D, even though it draws
heavily on C++. Perhaps drawing on C++ is holding it back too.

Time will show.

Ola.