More radical ideas about gc and reference counting

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 30 18:20:42 PDT 2014

On 4/30/2014 1:57 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> I already commented on past similar proposal. These are piling up more and more
> hacks to achieve roughly the same thing, badly. This makes it impossible to
> provide a 3rd party implementation that is compliant, is guaranteed to ends up
> in a nightmarish explosion of special cases, or to be vastly underpowered.

Actually, I think inference of the ability to implicitly and safely convert from
mutable to immutable or shared to be very powerful. I also think it is superior
than requiring the user to add ever more annotations, which some research (and
my experience) shows that users are reluctant to do.

I don't buy that it is hackish, etc., especially without more of a rationale as
to why.

A link to your previous comment would be useful.