checkedint call removal

Andrew Godfrey via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 1 02:43:47 PDT 2014

On Friday, 1 August 2014 at 03:58:22 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> If you look at the Wikipedia article,
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assertion_(software_development)
>
> you'll see a more high level view of what assert is all about,
> rather than a worm's eye view the C standard takes. (It even
> uses C for its examples.) Up until this thread, I've never
> encountered someone who thought differently about it.

I just read that and it matches my idea of what asserts are all
about. But nowhere could I see any mention of asserts being a
promise to the compiler that it could then reason from. The
article mentions reasoning but I read that as human reasoning.
This sentence:

"The use of assertions helps the programmer design, develop, and
reason about a program."

To me sums it up. I dislike the idea of the compiler reasoning
from the assertions because, to me, it hinders the programmer's
ability to develop a program.

That said: From what Jonathan has said, it sound like this
argument could be recast as one about what the "-release" option
means. If it's avoidable without losing other optimizations, I
don't feel hindered in any way, and this is just a question about
user surprise, naming and documentation.