checkedint call removal

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 1 11:50:29 PDT 2014

On 8/1/2014 7:08 AM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> I'm not a native speaker..

I couldn't tell - your english is excellent.

(I'm always careful not to read too much subtlety into word choice by non-native
speakers. For a classic example, if a native speaker says "fine" it means he
strongly disagrees with you. A non-native speaker likely means he thinks you
have a great idea!)

> .. but even if I were: words used for constructs/function-names/... in
> programming often don't 100% match their "real" meaning (as used in human
> communication)[1] - why should it be different for assert(), especially when not
> implemented/used like that in many popular programming languages?

Every discipline has its own jargon. For example, what would "sick" mean to a
motorhead?

We also had quite a struggle coming up with the name "immutable". Every term we
tried seemed inadequate, until we noticed that we were always explaining "XXX
means the data is immutable", and realized that "immutable" was what we were after.