checkedint call removal

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 1 18:55:48 PDT 2014

On 08/02/2014 03:11 AM, Chris Cain wrote:
> However, by not stating what it is you have provided "strong evidence" for,

Why would I need to? It is what you were arguing against: "You will
notice it uses the word 'assertion' in a way that is incompatible with
your claim that the "assert definition" rules out such an usage."

I think it should be clear from the context, no? Am I missing something?

> what does that leave me to do?

You can say that you still disagree but are in no position to argue
further and we'll put aside the discussion. Mind you, I don't actually
gain anything by convincing you, the investments have already been
immense, and it would be a lot harder now since I appear to have
insulted you, for which I want to express an apology.

> I think the only reasonable, logical thing to do when you state a fact to a computer program is that it accepts it as a fact.

Indeed. Note that actually we have defined an assertion to be a
particular kind of statement of a fact _or belief_, ...

> So the definition of assertion very much clarifies exactly the behavior described of assert.

hence this conclusion is reached by a non-exhaustive case analysis on
what kind of thing the assertion actually describes.

> Contradictory STATEMENTS makes perfect sense.

Yes, without further qualification, two statements may contradict each
other. However, if we are e.g. talking about two statements that do not
contradict each other, it would not make sense to claim them to be
contradictory. There are many other qualifications that will imply that
two statements do not contradict each other. The mere fact that we have
two classes of STATEMENTS does not allow us to conclude that it makes
sense to assume that their instances may be contradictory.

> Since assertions are

The same reservations as above apply.

> STATEMENTS of facts.

A statement of FACT is a statement that expresses a fact. I.e. there is
an existing fact, and the statement expresses this fact. There is a
difference between a fact and a statement of that fact, but if two
statements of fact contradict each other, you are still left with two
contradictory facts.

> your entire argument is broken because you've used strawman.

It is not a straw man even when assuming I actually claimed that you
said contradictory facts make sense and then argued against that
alternative claim because this claim you appear to think I argued
against is an immediate consequence of the claim you made and which I
wanted to refute.