checkedint call removal

Chris Cain via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 1 19:28:10 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 2 August 2014 at 01:55:49 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 08/02/2014 03:11 AM, Chris Cain wrote:
>> However, by not stating what it is you have provided "strong
>> evidence" for,
>
> Why would I need to? It is what you were arguing against: "You
> will notice it uses the word 'assertion' in a way that is
> incompatible with your claim that the "assert definition" rules
> out such an usage."
>
> I think it should be clear from the context, no? Am I missing
> something?

In one post you claim:
> In any case, my easy way out is to note that this is not my
> assertion.

In the next you claim I *was* arguing against what you were
asserting.

I think the point about you lacking clarity makes itself
absolutely crystal clear here.

Frankly, it's too difficult to understand you and I'm tired
because I've had to argue with another guy about the definition
of "test" because "That's not a test, that's code!" *facepalm* I
really don't want to get into that sort of argument here again.

Frankly, I feel the thing you're going through is simply
cognitive dissonance. I started this topic out thinking Walter
was wrong but his points are far stronger and make a lot more
sense when you consider more of the context behind `assert`,
including the English definition (but also including the articles
on assertions). So FWIW, I understand how you feel. But you're
going to have to get over it and incorporate the new knowledge by
arguing with yourself on the matter. Frankly, you're the person
with the most to gain by casting aside misunderstandings of
concepts. I don't gain anything by convincing you, so it makes
more sense for you to argue with yourself, in this case. Really,
I wouldn't mind doing you the favor of convincing you, but I have
no tolerance for people whose cognitive dissonance is strong
enough to argue against basic definitions of words (which you can
verify by simply typing into Google "assert definition").
Honestly it makes it impossible for us to communicate when you
won't even agree to accept a definition of a word which is widely
accepted by every dictionary I can find.

If you have a problem with the understanding of "assertion",
Google the definition until you're satisfied with a mental model
behind it. It makes absolute abundant sense of why it would mean
what Walter suggests. I think you'll find it really hard to
continue to disagree with 10 dictionaries, so hopefully it'll
cure you of your cognitive dissonance. Of course, by some luck
you might find one dictionary I haven't found that might support
your position, but I hope for your sanity and personal growth
that you realize that 10 to 1 definitions means there's far more
evidence against that.