checkedint call removal

Chris Cain via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 2 02:36:27 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 2 August 2014 at 07:36:34 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:

Look, this is the point I'm trying to make. Given the English
definition of assert (Just accept the definition, I'm tired:
"statement of fact or belief confidently and forcefully"), I
claim that it makes sense that a compiler will use your statement
of fact to do something meaningful. The assert defined in this
topic by Walter certainly aligns with what *I* would expect the
compiler to do, given a statement of fact. Yes, whatever you said
may be true or may not be true. Just like anything else, though,
if you're wrong, your program will be buggy. Such is life of a
programmer.

I find the concept of not doing anything meaningful with an
assert to be strange. I find the idea of confusing "checking"
with "asserting" to also be pretty weird (only after this topic,
to be fair). Given the English definition of assert, it seems
strange that I ever believed it should work the way I
conceptualized it before. But oh well. That's all I really wanted
to say, I'm really tired of words and throwing things around and
confusing something so simple and trivial. Simple things should
stay simple. Complexity hides incorrect logic.

To simplify: When I tell the compiler to do something, it does
it. Thus, if I give a compiler a statement of fact, it should use
that information. There should be no special case between those
two. Yeah whatever, compile errors, come on man, stop missing the
simple and obvious point. Stop missing the forest for the grain
of dirt.