checkedint call removal

Andrew Godfrey via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 2 08:27:21 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 2 August 2014 at 10:21:44 UTC, Artur Skawina via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 08/02/14 11:36, Chris Cain via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Saturday, 2 August 2014 at 07:36:34 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
>>
>> Look, this is the point I'm trying to make. Given the English
>> definition of assert
>
> We're not writing code in `English`, but in `D`. That is a
> fact. :)
> The english definition of 'assert' is *completely irrelevant*.
> Really.
>
> artur

To expand on this: An army of programmers doing real work has in
the past encountered this question of what 'assert' should mean
in a programming language. For my my codebase decades ago parted
ways with C 'assert'; it has its own which has many more
features. And so the 'assume' that C's assert may or may not have
had in release builds is merely a curiosity,from the POV of this
codebase. The English meaning even more so.
Experience with huge codebases trumps the opinion of standards or
dictionaries.
But of course I still would like the language to steer newcomers
away from such expensive missteps.