assert semantic change proposal

Daniel Gibson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 3 15:35:39 PDT 2014

Am 04.08.2014 00:15, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:

> That said, should we proceed carefully about realizing this advantage?
> Of course; that's a given. But I think it's very important to fully
> understand the advantages of gaining an edge over the competition.

Gaining an edge over the competition?

"A new DMD release broke my code in a totally unexpected way and people
tell me it's because I'm using assert() wrong.
I've been using it like this in C/C++/Java/Python and D since forever
and *now*, after >10years, they changed D's meaning of assert() to
somehow imply assume() and optimize my safety-checks away.. they pretend
it was always planned like this but they never got around to tell anyone
until recently.
It took me a week to find this freaking bug!"

Doesn't really sound like the kind of advantage over the competition
that many people would appreciate.

If some rant like this (from Reddit or whatever) is the first impression
someone gets of D, he's unlikely to ever take a closer look, regardless
of the many merits the language actually has.

(Yes, Johhannes Pfau actually brought a similar  argument somewhere in
the depth of one of the other threads)

D could still get this kind of edge over the competition by doing these
kind of optimizations when another keyword (like assume()) is used -
without breaking any code.

Cheers,
Daniel