assert semantic change proposal

Daniel Gibson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 3 17:40:51 PDT 2014

Am 04.08.2014 02:28, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
> On 8/3/14, 3:35 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> Am 04.08.2014 00:15, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
>>>
>>> That said, should we proceed carefully about realizing this advantage?
>>> Of course; that's a given. But I think it's very important to fully
>>> understand the advantages of gaining an edge over the competition.
>>>

>> Gaining an edge over the competition?
>
> Yes, as I explained.
>
>> "A new DMD release broke my code in a totally unexpected way and people
>> tell me it's because I'm using assert() wrong.
>
> This has been discussed several times, and I agree there's downside. All
> I want to do is raise awareness of the upside, which is solid but
> probably less obvious to some. There's no need to trot again in response
> the downside that has been mentioned many times already.

Ok, so you agree that there's a downside and code (that you consider
incorrect, but that most probably exists and works ok so far) will
*silently* break (as in: the compiler won't tell you about it).
So when should this change be introduced? In 2.x or in D3?

I don't really like the idea of introducing a silently breaking change
in a minor version - and it destroys the trust into future decisions for D.

Cheers,
Daniel