assert semantic change proposal

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 3 18:02:44 PDT 2014

On 8/3/14, 5:40 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> Ok, so you agree that there's a downside and code (that you consider
> incorrect, but that most probably exists and works ok so far) will
> *silently* break (as in: the compiler won't tell you about it).

Yes, I agree there's a downside. I missed the part where you agreed
there's an upside :o).

> So when should this change be introduced? In 2.x or in D3?

More aggressive optimizations should be introduced gradually in future
releases of the D compilers. I think your perception of the downside is
greater, and that of the upside is lesser, than mine.

> I don't really like the idea of introducing a silently breaking change
> in a minor version - and it destroys the trust into future decisions for D.

I understand. At some point there are judgment calls to be made that
aren't going to please everybody.

Andrei