assert semantic change proposal

David Bregman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 3 19:18:10 PDT 2014

On Monday, 4 August 2014 at 01:19:28 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 8/3/14, 6:17 PM, John Carter wrote:
>> Well, I'm the dogsbody who has the job of upgrading the
>> toolchain and
>> handling the fallout of doing so.
>>
>> So I have been walking multimegaline code bases through every
>> gcc
>> version in the last 15 years.
>
> Truth. This man speaks it.
>
> Great post, thanks!
>

> Andrei

His post basically says that his real life experience leads him
to believe that a static analyzer based on using information from
asserts will very likely generate a ton of warnings/errors,
because real life code is imperfect.

In other words, if you use that information to optimize instead,
you are going to get a ton of bugs, because the asserts are
inconsistent with the code.

So his post completely supports the conclusion that you've
disagreed with, unless this has convinced you and you're
switching sides now (could it be?) :)