scope guards

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 3 20:15:19 PDT 2014

On 4 August 2014 12:04, Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 8/4/2014 12:28 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to make better use of scope guards, but I find myself belting
>> out try/catch statements almost everywhere.
>> I'm rather disappointed, because scope guards are advertised to offer
>> the promise of eliminating try/catch junk throughout your code, and I'm
>> just not finding that to be the practical reality.
>>
>> I think the core of the problem is that scope(failure) is
>> indiscriminate, but I want to filter it for particular exceptions. The
>> other issue is that you still need a catch() if you don't actually want
>> the program to terminate, which implies a try... :/
>>

> Scope guards are for when you don't need to handle exceptions. If you need
> the exceptions, use try...catch. I don't think it would be a good idea to
> have two different means of handling exceptions.

Well, then they're not particularly useful in practise. I'm finding that I
can rarely blanket an operation across all exceptions.
The nature of exceptions is that they are of a particular type, so why have
no access to that concept when trying to respond to them...