std.jgrandson

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 4 00:34:18 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 3 August 2014 at 18:44:37 UTC, Dicebot wrote:

> Before going this route one needs to have a good vision how it
> may interact with imaginary std.serialization to avoid later
> deprecation.

I suggest only provide functions for serializing primitive types.
A separate serialization module/package with a JSON archive type
would use this module as its backend.

> At the same time I have recently started to think that
> dedicated serialization module that decouples aggregate
> iteration from data storage format is in most cases impractical
> for performance reasons - different serialization methods imply
> very different efficient iteration strategies. Probably it is
> better to define serialization compile-time traits instead and
> require each `std.data.*` provider to implement those on its
> own in the most effective fashion.

I'm not sure I agree with that. In my work on std.serialization I
have not seen this to be a problem. What problems have you found?

--
/Jacob Carlborg