assert semantic change proposal

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 4 13:46:16 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 3 August 2014 at 23:05:23 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 08/04/2014 12:51 AM, John Carter wrote:
>>> But go ahead. This will lead to a fork.
>>
>> What should fork is the two opposing intentions for assert.
>>
>> They should have two different names and different
>> consequences.
>
> Yes. :)

If "assert" remains having assume semantics then it basically
means that you will have to rewrite all libraries.

Switching the names of "assert" and "assume" is comparable to
asking me to drive a car where the accelerator and break pedals
have switched positions. Adjusting the compiler is less work…