assume, assert, enforce, @safe

Andrew Godfrey via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 5 09:35:40 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 5 August 2014 at 09:42:26 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> But I don't think this path is all that new… so I hope Walter,
> if he continues walking down this path, remains unrelenting and
> keeps walking past "assert as assume" until he finds truly new
> territory in the realm of formal methods. That could happen and
> bring great features to D.

This! +1000!

This is what I've been feeling too: Walter is wrong -
astonishingly wrong in fact - but in a very interesting direction
that may have something very 'right' on the other side of it. I
don't know what form it will take, but the example
someone gave, of keeping track of when a range is sorted vs. not
known to be sorted, to me gives a hint of where this may lead. I
can't quite imagine that particular example playing out, but in
general if the compiler keeps track of properties of things then
it could start making algorithmic-level performance decisions
that today we always have to make by hand. To me that's
interesting.