Guide for dmd development @ Win64?

Johannes Blume via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 5 14:48:39 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 5 August 2014 at 17:19:03 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 August 2014 at 08:40:00 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> On 8/5/2014 1:09 PM, Dicebot wrote:
>>> Ok finally have managed to compile everything for Windows 8.1
>>> + Visual
>>> C++ Express 2013 and I am very very happy that I do Linux
>>> programming
>>> for a living.
>>
>> To be fair, I frequently build C and C++ projects with MinGW
>> and/or VC without needing to jump through any hoops, since
>> most projects these days either build with a build tool like
>> Premake/CMake/(Take Your Pick) or provide a number of
>> Makefiles for different compiler configurations. DMD's build
>> system on Windows is just masochistic.
>
> I am most frustrated by the fact that they break the path
> layout between Visual Studio releases for no reason and that
> cl.exe can't find own basic dll out of the box without explicit
> path hint. This has nothing to do with DMD build system - I can
> only blame latter for no paying for every single Windows /
> Visual Studio version out there to test path compatibility.

Normally, you just execute vcvars32.bat/vcvars64.bat before doing
anything from the command line and you are set. Even make scripts
I created five years ago for VS2008 still work without a hitch on
VS2013 without any manual PATH trickery. The detailed directory
layout of VS is not something makefiles are supposed to know
about.