assert semantic change proposal

Jeremy Powers via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 5 15:25:50 PDT 2014

> You're using a nonstandard definition of undefined behavior. Undefined
> behavior has a precise meaning, that's why Timon linked the wiki article
> for you.
>
> The regular definition of assert does not involve any undefined behavior,
> only the newly proposed one.

But the 'newly proposed one' is the definition that I have been using all
along.  The 'regular' definition of assert that you claim is what I see as
the redefinition - it is a definition based on the particular
implementation of assert in other languages, not on the conceptual idea of
assert as I understand it (and as it appears to be intended in D).

This appears to be the root of the argument, and has been circled
repeatedly... it's not my intent to restart another round of discussion on
that well traveled ground, I just wanted to state my support for the
definition as I understand it.