Phobos PR: `call` vs. `bindTo`

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 7 13:24:27 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 5 August 2014 at 19:31:08 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> There are currently two Phobos PR's that implement essentially
> the same
> functionality, but in slightly different ways:
>
> 	https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/1255
> 	https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2343
>
>>From the discussion on Github, it seems to me that we should
>>only
> introduce one new function rather than two similar but
> not-quite-the-same functions. Since the discussion seems stuck
> on
> Github, I thought I should bring it here to the larger
> community to see
> if we can reach a consensus (who am I kidding... but one can
> hope :-P)
> on:
>
> (1) What name to use (bring on the bikeshed rainbow)
> (2) Exactly what functionality should be included.
> (3) Which PR to merge.

I concur with what others have said. Neither of these proposals
carry their own weight. They're just shuffling around
functionality that we already have so that someone can write
their code in a slightly different order. If someone really wants
to alter their code like this, they can just write these
functions themselves, but they're not of enough value to the
community at large to be worth adding to Phobos.

- Jonathan M Davis