What have I missed?

eles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 9 00:12:43 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 9 August 2014 at 02:53:34 UTC, Era Scarecrow wrote:
>  But naturally before i can do anything i need to
> re-familiarize myself with Git and GitHub... and immediately
> remember why i pretty much rage-quit 18 months ago...
>
>  Is there anyone who i can refer to via IM/PM or some quick
> method when i start using this stuff to get it sorted out
> (rather than these forums)?
>
>  Although it's pretty likely i'll either start a brand new
> fork/repository of phobos or destroy my current saved changes
> (commits, fixes, everything) as they will be a pain to figure
> out since i never could get it to work last time... even after
> i rebased it last time...

I am not a heavy github user and I use git basically only for
myself and collaboration outside my workplace (there, we use the
"professional" ClearCase...), but for git, I could recommend you
these resources:

https://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/
https://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1

If you have at least 30 minutes to read about git, then this:

http://git-scm.com/book/en/Getting-Started-Git-Basics

About branching (but a bit complex) for large projects, there is
this much acclaimed resource:

But that may wait till later.

One word of caution about git: once you learn it, you'll pretty
much dump anything else and you'll become addicted to it to the
point that you'd dream to git-ify all your projects and stuff.
Personal experience speaking here. I went through CVS (just a
little), then quite heavily SVN (wow, what a wonder, I thought!),
had an attempt at bazaar...

All these were missing one crucial feature at that time and, one
day, I stumbled upon git (I was avoiding git on purpose, just to
not join the acclaiming chorus) and had the "a-ha" moment. I have
found it. The feature was:

"so I can change the version of the code that I work on without
having to change my folder, paths, put in plae symbolic links for
my IDE and stuff? It takes just a 'git checkout the_other_branch'
and it is exactly at the point where I did left it? and I am able
to switch branches for just 2 minutes, every 3 minutes, just to
compare results and so on? WOW!"

I forgot how the world was looking before the advent of git. I
forgot on purpose.