What have I missed?

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 9 02:15:08 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 9 August 2014 at 07:48:28 UTC, eles wrote:
> That's because many git tutorial start with praising its
> distributed repository model and bragging about why that
> feature is cool (which is very true, but it is confusing for
> beginners). Ignore that part for the time being, it will click
> in later.

  Yeah, when it starts getting into non-changing data the SHA1 and
160bit hashing makes perfect sense, even for identifying
renamed/moved files based on how much matching code they have.

  I understand every line you entered because i just ended up
watching 2-3 hours of Github help videos regarding the various
features, otherwise i'd be completely lost, even with a book to
guide me. But perhaps what we lack is sorta this nice
introduction into D using GitHub. My first experience is still
very jarring.

  I'd like to see offered a standard environment i can download
and run as a LiceCD on a VM that contains all the tools and
everything ready-to-use. Recommended or ready-to-use doesn't mean
it's the only way to use it :P

  Course i'd also like to see some videos. Andrei and Walter
talking about phobos and the approaches to design and why they
took various directions. Talking about how to use phobos, and the
various tools or development steps to contribute. Sure you can
read from the documentation but sometimes a good explanation of
why things are named or how they are named and their use would
make it a lot easier as a type of tutorial of the library and
language.

  I believe Channel-9's videos on the C++ STL taught me more of
how to use it than i could get from a book due to the huge
jarring and confusing differences between C and C++'s approach to
it. I'd hope Facebook or Google could provide a public green-room
where some of these informational videos could be captured.

  Of course i'd also like to see Richard Stallman give his
blessing and provide some of his skills and support as well. But
most of this is wishful thinking...