[OT] I wrote a (better?) heap memory manager, is it good for anything?

Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 11 16:21:49 PDT 2014

On Monday, 11 August 2014 at 23:10:14 UTC, Klaus wrote:
> Those functions are part of the memory manager (MM). Some MM
> have higly optimized memory copy operation (i.e realloc: if the
> source is overlapped with the dest...using SSE or MMX
> registers... etc).

  I've tried using some of them sometimes. Came across a case of
trying to do a compare or copy safely, but if it was under a
certain size it just didn't do anything making my compression
testing functions fail. This was mostly if they were under the
system's default word size. Not sure why that was, I would have
thought it would switch tracks and handle less efficient pieces
if there was only a few of them so I didn't have to write special
work-around cases.

  Of course could do like M$ does, and increase the minimum size
to the word length or double that for compression (NTFS does
this) and a lot of speedups appear and problems go away rather
than being as thorough as possible...