Spam attack on the Wiki

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 12 02:49:29 PDT 2014

On Monday, 11 August 2014 at 18:02:19 UTC, Orvid King wrote:
> On 8/11/2014 9:17 AM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 08:23:13AM +0000, via Digitalmars-d
>> wrote:
>>> Could one of the Wiki admins have a look, please? There is a
>>> spam
>>> attack ongoing on wiki.dlang.org. Nothing massive, just a
>>> handful of
>>> pages so far, but better to stop it. Thanks!
>>
>> Also, looking at the recent changes log, it seems the spammer
>> has been
>> registering a whole bunch of spam accounts over the past few
>> days. Most
>> of them look rather spammy, though it's hard to say whether
>> some of them
>> are actually legit. Perhaps there's a way to tell based on
>> server logs?

> I noticed one of these about a week ago, is there any way
> currently to mark a page for review by an admin and eventually
> deletion?

MediaWiki supports "flagged revision" [1]. This extension can
make changes to articles invisible to non-logged-in users, as
long as they have not been acknowledged by a group of privileged
users (for example, any logged-in user).

But I don't think it is necessary. Up until now, there wasn't a
lot of spam on the Wiki. It's probably fine to remove it manually
when it appears.

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FlaggedRevs